Sponsored by THE CW OPERATORS’ CLUB
Please refer all inquiries to CWO Manager, Bruce, N1LN : firstname.lastname@example.org
CW OPEN Results
The 2016 results can be found in the May 2017 issue of the Solid Copy newsletter. The 2017 results can be found in the December 2017 and January 2018 issues of the Solid Copy newsletter. The 2018 results can be found in the November 2018 issue of the Solid Copy newsletter. The 2019 results can be found in the November 2019 issue of the Solid Copy newsletter.
The 2020 results can be found in the October 2020 issue of the Solid Copy newsletter.
CWops is grateful to Icom America for sponsoring the CW OPEN awards
CWops – CW OPEN COMPETITION
Note: The 2021 CW Open Will Be Held On September 4, 2021
The CW OPEN (CWO), which is held on the first Saturday in September, is guided by the same principles along with enhancements to make it a serious, annual competitive event.
Object: Work as many CW stations worldwide as possible within each session. There are three separate competitions at three separate times — each is called a “session.” Each station may be worked once per band in each session. Entry can be made to any or all of the sessions. Each session is scored separately. Entry into multiple sessions will be added together for a combined score in a separate, additional aspect to this event.
Date: September 4, 2021
|Sessions and Times|
|1||September 4, 2021||0000 – 0359z|
|2||September 4, 2021||1200 – 1559z|
|3||September 4, 2021||2000 – 2359z|
Eligibility: All amateurs are encouraged to participate.
Exchange: Sequential Serial Number and Name. Serial numbers start at 001 for each session.
QSO Points: One point for every valid two way QSO with correct exchange of information. May contact for points only once per band, per session. Note: do not remove dupes from your log.
Multipliers: For each session, each different call sign is a multiplier the first time it is worked in that session. Note that a busted call sign is not a multiplier.
Score: For each session, total QSO points times the total number of multipliers. If more than one session is entered, a combined score equal to the sum of all session scores will be reported separately in the results.
Mode: CW only
Bands: 160, 80, 40, 20, 15, 10 meters
Class Entry: Single Operator only. Indicate power level of QRP, Low, or High; QRP is 5W or less; Low is 100W or less; High is any legal power above 100W. Packet, Skimmer, and Reverse Beacon systems are allowed.
Team Competition: Please register your team HERE.
- A Team consists of TWO or more single operators.
- Teams, with up to ten operators each, can be organized and compete against each other.
- There is no geographical restriction for a team; this offers a strategic component.
- Team scores is the sum of all team players’ score in all sessions that they choose to enter.
Note: Since there is only ONE overall Team Competition winner for the entire contest, those who enter ALL 3 sessions obviously have a much better chance of winning.
- All logs must be in Cabrillo format. See FAQ below for details. Paper logs will not be accepted.
- All logs for CWO 2021 must be submitted by the log deadline: September 19, 2021.
- Submit a separate CWO Cabrillo log for each session. Serial numbers begin at 1 for each session.
- Name your logs for each session by using 1, 2, or 3 after your call sign.
Sample Log Names for K3XYZ:
Session 1. K3XYZ1.log
Session 2. K3XYZ2.log
Session 3. K3XYZ3.log
- Logs must be submitted in electronic format. A customized log submission form for CWO is available here: https://cwops.contesting.com/.
Click on “Log Submission” and you will be taken to a Log Submission page, which you can use in either of two ways.
Method A. Click “Browse”: Let’s you find and upload your Cabrillo file directly.
Method B. Paste Area: You can copy the information from your CWO Cabrillo file, and paste it directly into the text area shown.
After using either Method A or Method B mentioned above, simply click “Submit Log”.
Please Note: All logs submitted to the CW Open will be made open and available to the public. By submitting a log for the log checking process, the entrant has agreed unconditionally to the open publication of that log.
- Please submit separate logs for each Session — do not try to combine them into one for submitting purposes.
- After the contest period ends, you can verify that your log has been received by returning to this page and clicking here: Logs Received
- If you have any problems or questions, please contact us at: email@example.com
Logging Software: Several common contest loggers have been tested and approved for The CW Open.
by AE6Y; ver 12.5 or later
by NO5W ver 188.8.131.52 or later
by 9A5K/K5CRO ver 1.025 or later
by W3KM ver 8.0 or later
ver 11.06.01 or later
ver 1.0 or later
by EI5DI ver 15.43 or later
by K1GQ ver 1.1.7 or later
by UA4WLI; ver 4.235 or later
by UA4WLI; ver 4.235 or later
|How to Setup TR4W for CWO (by Marv, N5AW)|
requires 3rd party contest module
by DJ1YFK; a Linux/Unix logger
|UcxLog – Shareware Log and Contest Program|
Refer to the Software Page for more information.
Trophy, high score, each session, each ITU Region (9 trophies)
Trophy, high combined score (all sessions), each ITU region (3 trophies)
Plaque, high score, each of HP, LP and QRP, each session, each ITU region (27 plaques)
* If the same entrant wins multiple awards, the awards may be combined.
- Log format should be Cabrillo v3.
- QSO template is similar to NA Sprint, but without the QTH columns:
——info sent———– ——-info rcvd———–
- QSO: freq mo date time call nr ex1 call nr
- QSO: ***** ** yyyy-mm-dd nnnn ********** nnnn aaaaaaaaaa ********** nnnn aaaaaaaaaa
- QSO: 14042 CW 2011-09-20 0000 N5TJ 1 JEFF N6TR 1 TREE
- There are no time off periods.
- Serial numbers start with 001 at the beginning of each session and do not accumulate over multiple sessions.
- At present, there are no multi-operator categories.
- While Packet (and similar ‘help’ such as skimmer and/or reverse beacon networks) is allowed, please indicate use of such ‘help’ on a voluntary basis in the log. Entering as “SO Assisted”, or any multi-operator category will be taken to mean SO with Packet. Results may indicate this status.
- All entries are single operator only. No assistance by another operator is allowed, locally or remotely, except for the use of Packet which must be a cluster arrangement providing spots to others besides yourself. Packet data may be obtained by any means (telnet, VHF, etc).
- Duplicate contacts on the same band in the same session count for zero points. Do not remove such contacts from your log. There is no penalty for duplicate contacts.
- Only one transmitted signal is allowed at any time.
- Multiplier: The first time you work each call sign in each session, you earn a multiplier for that session. If you then work the same call sign on a different band, it adds to your QSO points but is not a new multiplier. Thus, the total number of multipliers in your log is the number of different calls signs logged. If any call is determined to be busted (wrong copy) during log checking, that multiplier is removed.
- Please Note: All logs submitted to the CW Open will be made open and available to the public. By submitting a log for the log checking process, the entrant has agreed unconditionally to the open publication of that log